On this 8th commemoration of the terrorist attacks on this nation, I hope we haven’t forgotten some things.
- There really are evil people out there who want to destroy the United States.
- It’s going to take vigilance to maintain our security.
- We need to be united in our willingness to place the safety of our people ahead of our political interests.
- Defense is the first responsibility of any civil government.
- Without aÂ Biblical foundationÂ for our thinking, we will be led astray.
- Ultimately, God is our only hope.
To me, it’s a desecration of this remembrance to turn this day into National Service Day. That’s using a tragedy to grow government influence. We are citizens, not civil servants. An attitude of servanthood certainly is Christian, but it needs to be in the proper context. It must come from the heart, not at the behest of government initiative.
A government is not a nation. A government only represents the nation. The nation is the people; it exists whether civil government does or not.
On this day of remembrance, let’s rededicate ourselves to the will of the One who gives meaning to all of life. Let’s invoke His blessing on this nation. We need His mercy now more than any other time in our history.