Month: November 2011

We Once Were Lost

Newt Gingrich’s rise in the polls is bringing renewed scrutiny into his past. I have no problem with a candidate being fully vetted. It would have been nice if the mainstream media had done that to Barack Obama. Maybe we could have avoided the last three years. Gingrich does have issues in his past, both personal and political. He has dallied with the idea of the individual mandate for health care. His concern for the environment led him to make… Read more »

2Timothy 2:8-13

Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descendant of David, according to my gospel, for which I suffer hardship even to imprisonment as a criminal; but the word of God is not imprisoned. For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory. It is a trustworthy statement: For if we died with Him, we will also… Read more »

Maybe We Need a Super Duper Committee

The deadline draws near. The so-called Super Committee is supposed to come up with more than a trillion dollars in savings by Wednesday. I never gave this committee much credence since it’s made up of equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans. Stalemate was inevitable. Democrats on the committee came up with what they thought were dandy ideas for savings. The only problem? They weren’t real. Republican efforts have been rejected, even though they contained the closing of tax loopholes to… Read more »

Ah, Those Lazy Americans

President Obama raised some eyebrows this week with his pronouncement that America has been lazy the last couple of decades in attracting business. Most of those raised eyebrows were over the audacity to say that America has been lazy. While my own eyebrows unite with those of others, I’m also just as incredulous that he actually has any interest in entrepreneurship. Well, it’s good for show, at least. Cartoonists had a fun time dealing with it as well: As he… Read more »

Examining the Candidates

I spoke last night at a local Republican club. My assignment was to examine all the Republican contenders for the presidential nomination. I knew this might be a tough assignment simply because each one would have some supporters in the audience. My approach, therefore, despite my own personal leanings, was to be as impartial as possible. For each candidate, I shared what the candidate himself/herself identified as strengths, and why voters should choose them. Then I turned to the critiques… Read more »

The Real 99%

Cartoonist Michael Ramirez has been highlighting some really stark comparisons in his political cartoons lately. The other day I shared his view on modern society’s upside down perception of heroes and villains. He’s back today with another poignant contrast: I’m kind of fed up with this “we’re the 99%” baloney, which casts millionaires and billionaires as the other 1% who are ruining the world. In actuality, anyone making just above $300,000 per year is part of that 1%, which means… Read more »

The Occupiers’ True Colors Are Showing

I believe the Occupy Wall Street movement showed its true colors from the beginning, but those who wanted to give the benefit of the doubt are now starting to catch on. All it takes is a few killings, rapes, thefts, destruction of private property, and widespread sanitation issues that lead to disease to wake up the drowsy. Even liberal mayors are having to crack down on the movement, sending in the police to tear down encampments that violate city ordinances… Read more »