I know some Christians are feeling pretty low these days as they survey the cultural and political landscape. I guess it’s possible that my blog could contribute to that since I pinpoint the problems we are facing.
Yet I always want to keep reminding us that despite what you see happening around you, God works in your life and in the life of this nation.
The other day, as I was praying, I felt the need to meditate on just what I have to be thankful for. This list is really quite long, but it can be summarized in this way:
- God has provided a loving and forgiving wife who has stayed with me for 37 years.
- I have two children who are now grown and establishing their own families. My son recently chose to be baptized as a public confession of his faith. My daughter is expecting her fourth child [we love the three boys, but are hoping for a girl this time—if only for variety ;-)].
- The “job” I now have as a professor and department chair is not a job in the classic sense; rather, it is a ministry that brings great joy as I help educate others to serve Him.
- In spite of economic downturns overall, we have a nice roof over our heads and are not in imminent danger of losing it.
- As I get older, knowledge of the Lord and how He wants His character expressed through me becomes increasingly important. He has shown me how hypocrisy is a spiritual wasteland.
The more I reflect on God and His goodness, the more I have reasons to praise. So today, Lord, I simply want to thank you for your mercy on an oftentimes foolish and impetuous person. Thank you for never giving up on me. In return, I will not give up on You.